I’m not sure this is one of the 1001 ways of cooking salted cod (bacalhau) that the Portuguese brag about but here it is. It usually works for those on the opposite spectrum from boiled cod lovers and is a kind of variation of the traditional chick pea and cod salad (salada de grão com bacalhau).
1. Soak thick salted cod steaks or fillets for 48 hours, changing the water 3-4 times. Add milk to water if you only have 2-3 days.
2. Taste cod (from the middle of the steak/fillet) after soaking, if too salty/dry soak again!
3. Thinly slice soaked salted cod along the grain with a filleting or carving knife. Mix with lemon juice (lime if you want to be trendy), julienne fresh red chillies, finely chopped parsley and excellent olive oil (there is no point in doing any of this unless you have good olive oil)
4. Marinating in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
5. Serve on a bed of chick pea salad and celeriac remoulade (maybe other posts will direct you on this)