Breaded Peas/Ensopado de Ervilhas
This is a simple rich tasting dish that can be served as an accompaniment or as main dish, sometimes accompanied with boiled rice. Great for summer pea season!
3 cups of peas
Half an onion
1 clove garlic
1 small bunch of parsley
1 slice of white bread
1 tsp tomato paste
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Finely chop the onion and fry in the olive oil. Remove skin and cut the chouriço into small cubes and add to the onion, cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
2. Add finely chopped parsley, tomato paste and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add peas, bread in small chunks and enough water to cover. Add salt.
4. Cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally. Peas should be thoroughly cooked though keeping their shape and texture. Bread should dissolve into a think sauce. Add more water if necessary.
5. Taste for salt, sprinkle paprika and/or chopped parsley on top and serve.