Salted Cod and Chick Pea Salad/Salada de Grão com Bacalhau
Chick peas and cod is a traditional Portuguese combo. This recipe mixes both key ingredients in a light dressing, all combined into a salad that can be served as main dish or starter.
250 gr cooked chick peas
2 salted cod steaks
1 “cloved onion”
2 cloves of garlic
2 bay leaves
2 red pepper
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp Sherry vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
Large bunch of parsley
If you’re using pre-soaked chick peas and cod go to step 3.
1. Soak the cod in cold water for 2-3 days (depending on the thickness of the pieces) changing water twice a day. In the last day add the chick peas to the water to soak overnight.
2. Boil in fresh water (with a little more salt) with an “cloved onion” (a peeled onion with cloves) and bay leaves. Take off the heat when chick peas are cooked (these take about 45 minutes and should be soft while keeping their shape).
3. Boil the cod for about 5 minutes (the middle should be practically raw) in the same water as the chick peas and put aside.
4. Make the dressing in a pestle and mortar. Smashing the garlic cloves with some sea salt, add cumin seeds and crush, then add the olive oil.
5. Shred the cod into small pieces and mix with the drained chick peas, red pepper and roughly chopped parsley. Toss in the dressing and serve.