Green Purée/Esparregado de Espinafres
This is traditional accompaniment for roast meats, particularly popular as the vegetable dish served with roast kid (cabrito). This recipe replaces the usual use of “nabiças” (the shoots of young turnip greens) for a mix of spinach and spring greens.
250 gr spinach and 250 gr spring greens (roughly chopped)
6 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp red wine vinegar salt
1. Fry the garlic (peeled whole cloves) in the olive oil until brown and remove. The garlic itself will not be used other than for flavouring the oil.
2. Add the spinach and the greens and toss until cooked (the greens should be tender but not over cooked).
3. Blend the mixture with a hand blender and season with salt. Be careful not to blend to baby food consistency!
4. Add the flour (you might want to adjust the quantity to get the right texture which should not be too thick), stir and cook for another couple of minutes.
5. Season with the red wine vinegar, taste, correct salt and serve immediately. The amount of vinegar can vary immensely. Some people like to add extra vinegar on the plate.