Mussels Vinaigrette/Mexilhão em Vinagrete
This is a great way of preserving left over mussels cooked à Bulhão Pato or a Mariniere. The mussels marinate for one day in the fridge and are served cold in their shells. Delicious as an appetizer with fresh bread.
500gr fresh mussels
1 Roast red pepper (skinned, seeded and finely chopped)
Parsley (finely chopped)
1 small mild onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp red wine vinegar (finely chopped)
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. Thoroughly wash in cold water and beard mussels
2. Cook mussels “à Bulhão Pato” or simply put them in a pot over high heat with a little lemon juice and cook until shells open
3. Remove from heat (keeping the cooking juices) and take flesh from the shells (disregard any mussels that do not open). Wash the nicer looking shells and keep in a plastic bag in the fridge until serving
4. In a glass bowl, whisk the vinegar and oil together then add two tbsp of the cooking liquid. Add the onion, pepper and parsley and finally the mussels. Mix all ingredients, cover and keep in the fridge to a day or at least 8 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. When ready to serve rinse the shells and place on a large platter. Taste mussels and season with salt and pepper if necessary, fill each shell with mussels and sauce and serve…